Platinum is a naturally white precious metal that is very durable and dense, making it a great choice for use in jewellery. It is very malleable, but has a very high melting point (which makes it a little more technically challenging to work with). Its name comes from platina, which is Spanish for ‘little silver.’

Durability and Purity

As it is so naturally durable, platinum does not have to be alloyed with a lot of other metals to make it durable enough for regular wear like gold does. It is used in jewellery at 95% purity, with the remaining 5% typically being palladium, iridium, ruthenium or other alloys.

Platinum Diamond Rings

Naturally white, acid-resistant and hypoallergenic, platinum is an ideal metal for jewellery. It does not oxidize and doesn’t require rhodium plating like white gold. Its great enough to have the Hope Diamond set in it, among many other famous pieces of jewellery.

The metal itself is incredibly rare in nature – about 30 times rarer than gold. Large deposits are currently being mined in South Africa and Russia.

Aside from jewellery, platinum is also used in major industrial products and processes, from the catalytic converters in your vehicle to electronics, medial devices and chemicals.

Caring for Platinum Jewellery

Simple – soak it in warm soapy water, then gently scrub it with a soft-bristled brush.

Want to learn more about other metals that are used in jewellery? Heard on over to our Precious Metals section.